1. Use your favorite recipe, with or without meat, with or without beans. Meat may be beef, pork, lamb, chicken or turkey (no wild meats). Veggie (meatless chili) is okay. Beans are encouraged but not mandatory. Ingredients may be cut, shredded or ground to any size. You may NOT use can or store bought chili/mixes. Pre-cooked beans are okay. All ingredients must be pre-cooked & treated prior to the event, chili is to be brought “ready to eat”.
2. Please have a list of the meats used for allergy purposes and if peanuts or peanut oil is used, please disclose.
3. Contestant must provide enough chili for 250, 2oz servings, a minimum of 4 (FOUR) gallons. Condiments or garnish of cheese, onions, sour cream, etc. are allowed but will not be provided by the venue.
4. There is no electrical source. Contestants must bring their own chafing dish and sternos and keep chili at proper temperature.
5. Tables, serving cups, spoons and napkins will be provided by the venue/organizer.
6. You will need a Team name and signage displaying your name at your table.
7. One entry per Team.
8. At no time should your chili be left unattended.
9. Do not discuss your chili with the judges before official judging.
Judging In this competition the chili will be blind judged (no one knows the identity of the cook) and scorecards will be based on the following five characteristics:
1. Texture: The texture of the meat shall not be tough or mushy
2. Flavor: The chili should have good flavoring
3. Consistency: Chili should be a smooth combination of meat and gravy not too thin or too thick
4. Spice and taste: Blending of the spices and how well they have permeated the meat
5. Color: The submitted chili should look appetizing
We will award a popular vote winner and judges 1, 2 and 3rd place winners.